Just Me!

I am just a little kid on a big adventure! I have fun all day, reading and playing and visiting lovely places. I don't go to school (not ever!) so I have loads of time for lovely things!
Read about my adventures here....

Saturday 21 May 2016

Saxon Day!







Lately, I've been learning all about the Saxons. When the Romans left in 410 AD, the Saxons invaded. The Saxons were lots of different groups of tribes, with the biggest tribes being called the Saxons, Angles and Jutes.
The reason I was learning all about the Saxons was because on Thursday, it was Saxon Day at Gamlingay. There was a Saxon-obsessed woman there who taught us all about what the Saxons were like, how life was back then and all about Saxon Weapons. She had a bunch of spears and swords that she showed us; it was awesome!


The talk went on a bit; me and Tilly were a bit bored
We also learnt about shields. There was a table that had a bunch of different parts of a shield, they even had two proper shields that you could hold and and pose with. I never knew shields were that heavy! We had to figure out how the shield was put together and it wasn't that easy!


Heavy!!



In between all of the talks, you could get dressed up in Saxon themed clothes. They were seriously itchy, I could hardly bare it! I think I actually looked quite nice in the clothes though.






The lady in charge asked me and Tilly if we would help her show some groups of children how the shields were put together. We tried to tell them all about the shields but they didn't really listen, they were too busy colouring in!



The final lesson was about how the Saxons used their tools and weapons. The woman giving us the talk took split us into two teams, took us all outside and gave each of us a shield and a stick and then sent us into battle! The battle wasn't very difficult, as it was just a bunch of kids poking each other with sticks, but I still got really into it!



Lining up battle!



Take that!










No comments:

Post a Comment