Just Me!

I am just a little kid on a big adventure! I have fun all day, reading and playing and visiting lovely places. I don't go to school (not ever!) so I have loads of time for lovely things!
Read about my adventures here....

Monday 1 August 2016

Heckington Show!




I've been to a lot of town and village shows before, but by far the biggest one I've ever been to was the Heckington Festival. We went there at the weekend. Mom, dad and I were there for about 4 hours but we still didn't get to see all of it! There was absolutely loads to do including antique shows, horse jumping, a fun fair and a WW2 display.




I think the most interesting thing at the festival was the sheep showing. At one end of the show, there was a huge tent full of little pens with hundreds of different breeds of sheep. I didn't realise there were so many different types! Some of the sheep had curly wool, some had spots and some were sheared. One thing that they all had in common though, was that they wouldn't shut up! I never realised sheep were so noisy. Outside of the tent, a show judge was viewing a small group of sheep at a time and awarding them rosettes. Some sheep did really well and got about 5 or 6 rosettes by the end of the showing!



In one of the tents packed with stalls, I found a rather beautiful looking necklace with a peridot stone. I loved the shade of green so much that I just had to buy it! The woman selling the necklaces gave a very educational talk about all of the different gem stones.

In a different tent, there was a stall advertising the Heckington Windmill. The woman there let me had a go at grinding the wheat between the giant mill stones to make flour. We saw the mill as we were driving in to the town, but I didn't realise it was the only windmill on Earth that still uses the grinding technique to produce flour! It's also very unusual because it has 8 working sails. The lady said me and my friends could have an educational visit and a tour of the mill. We'll even get to make bread! Mom's going to arrange it soon. I can't wait!

Near the end of the day, we stopped to watch a bit of the World War 1 show. Two first aid women on ponies were accompained by two soldiers on huge horses. In the middle of battle, the women on their ponies would charge through the battlefield to get to the injured soldiers and give them first-aid. The ponies must have been extremely brave!



Followed by the soldiers, was a gigantic tank. It was incredibly noisy and painfully slow, but very impressive to see. Mom got a picture of me and dad taking a picture of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment