Just Me!

I am just a little kid on a big adventure! I have fun all day, reading and playing and visiting lovely places. I don't go to school (not ever!) so I have loads of time for lovely things!
Read about my adventures here....

Wednesday 6 August 2014

Jordan's Mill

Awhile ago, I went to Jordan's Mill in Luton! Jordan's Mill is a big water mill that grinds loads of things like wheat and barely into flour and bread! The day before we went there (Tilly was still on a sleepover), Mom had a great idea that we could both make an Information booklet (ugh!). It turned out that making the booklet was actually really fun! Here's some of the history that I put in the booklet:
"The historic flour mill has been home to the Jordan family for over 150 years. Wiliam Herbert Jordan leased the mill, purchasing it in the 1890's. The mill is mentioned in the domesday book and the mill cost 47 shillings.
There was a fire in 1894 when the Jordans replaced the old mill stones with a modern, efficient roller system. Another fire in 1899 led to the vast improvement in technology put the Jordans on the map as one of the leading producers of flour in the region."
My Information Booklet

My cool model of the Mill!



I went on a big home-ed trip there with loads of other kids, some that I'd met before and some that I hadn't!
When I first got to the mill, I was set into a group (thankfully the group with Tilly and Lavinia and Taryn and Freya!). Then, the first tour guide took  us on a tour around the gardens! The gardens were so beautiful, and there was wheat, rye, barely and oats. There was also things like fruit trees, strawberry plants and loads of other vegetables! You could also eat the wheat, rye, barely and the oats. I tried everything! They were so tasty!
Looking around the gardens



After we looked around the gardens, we went to the inside of the mill where we saw how all of the wheat was ground down. The mill was water powered and we got to see the big water turbine and the water from the River Ivel that was nearby.
The turbines were very loud!



A Giant shaking sieve!

On the second floor, there was a massive map looking thing on the wall that showed you everything that was going on. And on the third floor, which we couldn't get to, there was a massive box shaking about, which was the giant sieve. It didn't look real, it was that odd looking!




Then, for the last tour, we went into another place in the mill where we all sat down on a giant table and chairs. We were given a big ball of dough to roll into a semi-sphere. Then we put another, smaller, ball of dough on the top and put a hole through the top. It was like a decapitated snowman! The woman took the dough balls and baked them while we went on a trail nearby to find loads of bugs and insects. After that, we went back for the bread. It was delicious!
Rolling the dough



After the tour, the kids went to the meadow nearby to have a picnic and play around. Me, Tilly, Lavinia, Freya and Taryn played Hide N Seek, because there was loads of bushes and trees to hide around in!



Overall, I had a great time! I'd really suggest going to Jordan's Mill for a tour!

No comments:

Post a Comment